Patch Call: Lower Gwynedd Township, Pennsylvania
The Quaker figure on the left side of the Lower Gwynedd Township, Pennsylvania, Police Department patch represents William Penn, the state’s founder, and his influence on the town’s early development. The nearby tepee stands for home and hospitality, while the crossed arrows symbolize the Delaware Indians and their friendship as the area’s first occupants. The upper section of the patch’s right side depicts the coat of arms and surname of the Evans family—31 of the 66 pilgrims who first arrived from Wales in 1698 held that surname. The white background in the lower section represents how Gwynedd is Welsh for “white fields”—the pilgrims found the area blanketed with snow upon arrival. The lamp of learning honors the educational facilities in Lower Gwynedd Township, and the black cross respects the community’s houses of worship.