The shoulder patch of the Norwalk, Connecticut, Police Department.

The Norwalk, Connecticut, Police Department patch features a replica of the city’s seal. Thirteen stars around the edge of the patch represent the original states admitted to the Union between December 7, 1787, and May 29, 1790. A bridge on the left signifies the old city of Norwalk, or uptown district, and indicates the point in the Norwalk River where it changes to deep water leading into Long Island Sound. It is also represents the original first taxing district of the city.

On the right, a well denotes the old city of South Norwalk, which had the nickname “old well” and was known as a water gathering spot for residents. Steamships docked and used the facility in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. A scene at the bottom symbolizes the Ludlow monument in East Norwalk in tribute to the town founder, Roger Ludlow. The year 1651 signifies the founding date in which the charter granted by the General Court of Connecticut read, “Norwalk shall be a town.” “Norwalke,” as it was originally written, was founded in 1649. In 1913, the city of South Norwalk, town of Norwalk, and East Norwalk Fire District merged and became the city of Norwalk.

The Latin phrase E pluribus unum in the center of the patch translates into “Out of many, one.”