April 11, 2017
The Wakefield, Massachusetts, Police Department patch features the town’s seal. Consisting of twin circles, it signifies Wakefield’s history, industrial development, and scenic beauty. The outer circle frames three dates: 1644, commemorating the town’s incorporation as Reading; 1812, when it became South Reading; and 1868, when the name changed to Wakefield. A shield centers the inner circle and bears symbols of the industries prominent in local development—shoes, rattan, and metal casting. Its middle features the heraldic eagle. Above the shield are the reflecting rays of the rising sun. Below, the name “Quannapowitt” identifies one of the Native Americans who signed the deed to white settlers in 1868.